Here is a simple and fun and most importantly, cheap, project for an afternoon. We’re going to turn a plain Jane ukulele into an electric powerhouse!
You’ll need a few things:
- A piezo transducer, I’m using RadioShack part # 273-0073, which goes for about $2.50
- A female 1/4″ jack. Either mono or stereo will work
- A drill and various size bits, up to whatever jacket size your 1/4″ jack uses, usually 3/8″ or 1/2″
- A hot glue gun and some glue sticks
- A soldering iron, I reccomend the Weller WLC100 its cheap, and there are replacement tips for it in most major cities
- Some solder…I still prefer the 60/40 type, but any decent solder will work
- Various wrenches and pliers
- An ukulele you don’t mind chancing damage to
- Whatever else I might have forgotten
So here’s a video that shows the whole process.